Sunday 1 September 2013

Weekend Productivity

I've never really been someone who's taken weekends off. Especially during my time as a professional poker player I often worked weekends, because that's when the best games were running. However, as of late weekends have blended together into my normal workweeks even more so than usual. Here are the 3 main reasons.

1) Workout Schedule

I recently started a new fitness program and it happened to be convenient to start this on a Saturday. My fitness program is a 6 days/wk split, which means my only day off is Friday. As a result, my Saturday feels like the start of the week and thus like Monday.
Don't think for a moment that this makes Friday feel like weekend though! My friends, business partners and the companies I interact with still work on Friday, so I still deal with people working and do a lot of work myself, because I get important emails that need responding to.

2) I enjoy what I do

A lot of the time what I want to do is work! Even if I had clear and defined weekdays and weekends, I would still do work on weekends. I am very excited about the things I'm working on and making progress on those is a lot more fun and rewarding to me than my hobbies.
However, like any other healthy human being I too take breaks from work, but...

3) I schedule non-work time

Definitely not all of it, I still decide to call it quits when I'm tired and decide to go out with friends when they ask me last-minute, but I do schedule breaks here and there to stop myself from burning out. For example, next week I'll join a university baseball team in their practice and most weeks I schedule going out for some food and such.


I believe that on top of my strange work schedule in the past as a professional poker player, these 3 things have recently made the line between weekdays and weekends even vaguer for me. This has made me more productive during the weekends and best of all I really enjoy this kind of schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment